template

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Well so far so good....although I started last leg good as well. We've made it to Guam after sailing the majority of the way from Micronesia. It's such a great sound when the engines turn off. Silence! We were also on a starboard tack which means that I wasn't falling out of my bunk most of the time. I was blessed with some beautiful clear skies at night and could see both the southern cross and the big dipper in the same sky. This passage was filled up with lessons, now that most of our trainees are feeling more up to combating their seasickness. The more time you spend at sea I think the quicker you get over any queasy feelings...although this is not true for everyone unfortunately.

Arrival in Guam reminds me a lot of Hawaii. It is definitely the most north American style place we've been yet, which is good and bad. At first I had hesitations coming here because I didn't want to ruin my south pacific ideal, however, there are some amazing beaches and surf spots and hikes to check out, not to mention some amazing coral dives that I've heard about. In Micronesia I did a couple of wreck dives, and while great, I think I appreciate coral/critters more than decomposing artifacts. The dive in Chuuk could also be slightly tainted by the poor organization of the dive charter. It was a bit of a gong show with about 8 divers to one dive master and one light going inside very dark wrecks. The dive master would go in first and then leave before everyone had a chance to see inside, so if you were last then you didn't get to see much...

It's nice to be docked, although we are a ways away from town (about 10k) so hitch hiking is the preferred method of choice right now, although we're looking at renting a car. Can't wait to fit in some last warm water snorkelling and diving before heading north to China! I'm literally taking the slow boat to China. One trainee also had a brilliant idea, of getting a bucket of dirt and slowing scooping out a bit everyday, that way he could say "I dug a hole to China!"

No comments: