template

Sunday, September 02, 2012

And The Pears Just Keep Coming!

 So I leave town for about 10 days to visit family and I'm dreading the look of the patio when I get home because I know it will be covered in pears starting to over ripen, full of fruit flies, and not an altogether lovely sight. However to my surprise its not so bad. There are a few over ripe pears, a few flies, but not the festering mess I was expecting. The tree however is still FULL of ripe pears and they are getting BIG! I climbed up a picked a few with the help of my sister and now between those and they rest I hadn't processed from before I left I once again had more than I know what to do with... SO

Puffed Pear Pancake (childhood favourite!)

  • Pre-heat oven to 425 F
  • Fill a greased frittata pan (or glass pie plate) with enough sliced poached (or canned) pears to fully cover the bottom - we used about 6/7 I think  but they were on the smaller side
  • Beat two eggs
  • Add 1/2 cup all purpose flour - whisk in
  • Add 1/2 cup milk - whisk in slowly
  • Add 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 tsp cardammom
  • Pour mixture over top of pears.
  • Bake for 20 minutes
  • Remove from oven and flip over (by placing a plate on top, flip the pancake, then slide it back into it's dish)
  • Sprinkle with sugar and cardamom and voila!

AND

Ginger Pear Marmalade

  • Zest three limes and set aside
  • Juice three limes and put in large bowl
  • Peel, core, and thinly slice 8 cups of pears
  • Coat with juice from limes
  • Add 3 tbsp of minced crystallized ginger
  • Add 4 cups of sugar and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour
***meanwhile prepare canning jars
  • Add zest to 1 1/4 cups of water and stirring frequently let come to a boil until liquid is reduced by half
  • Remove zest and add water to pears
  • Stirring frequently, boil pears for approximately 15 minutes
  • Add zest back in and continue boiling for another 5 minutes or until mix reaches a gel stage
  • Spoon into your canning jars leaving 1/4" room at the top, add sterilized lids and rings, and place in canner for 10 minutes

Enjoy!




No comments: