template

Friday, August 31, 2007

Circumnavigation # 3 Complete

I am back in Victoria now after fulling circumnavigating Vancouver Island for the third time. It's the greatest feeling when you round the corner and can see Race Rocks (one of the oldest lighthouses on the west coast) and you know that you are home again. Trips four and five were both fantastic, compelte with highlight visits to Hot Springs Cove, Rugged Beach and Cougar Annie's Garden!
Trip four in general was quite a calm trip, hardly any seasickness, which is great for a trip down the west coast. This trip is always really exciting because we only get to visit these places once a year everything is so new and undiscovered feeling and there isn't very much traffic either. We didn't have any really stomping broad reach sails like we normally due but a lot of our travelling was done very steadily with the courses, mains'l and main top up. We got so many fish we could hardly eat them all, despite the fish and chips night we put on thanks to Andrea.
Trip five was a different story all together. We got to sail up the island on the first day, which is rare in itself because the wind is usually blowing from the north when we want to head that way to start the trip out (there is virtually nothing between Ucluelet and Victoria). However, despite the sail (which usually calms the motion of the boat) almost every hand was seasick in one form or another. We had a few diehard trainees (most of whom were in Port watch...) who did a lot of dishes and radio watch that first day. We finally made it up the South side of Brooks Peninsula where we thought we would be sheltered from the swell....but we weren't and ended up having on the most terrifying dory experiences I've ever had trying to load people into the dory while buffering my dory against the bottom of the Swift as we got sucked under wiht every other roll! By the time we finally got to shore the trainees were almost kissing the sand and just staring at the trees trying to pretend the ocean didn't exist behind them.
The trip continued on however, and despite a lot of rolling around (penance for such a calm trip four I suppose) everyone had an amazing time. The highlight for me was a a very muddy and hilarious hike through the rainforest to Whitesand Beach (one of the most beautiful on the West Coast) Although I'm not sure everyone found this knee-deep mud experience quite as enjoyable as I did....I now have a new favourite sound though, and it is the sound of squelching mud and you lift your feet out of it take the next step back in.
It's really nice to be back in Victoria with some time to rest hopefully, between organizing everything I need for Offshore. I was getting a little nervouse about my Papua New Guinea Visa going through, but it looks like its all sorted out and that I should be getting it back next week sometime. Just enoough time to send it off to the Chinese Embassy next and have it back in time to leave in early October.
I really starting to realize how little I am prepared at the moment, but I'm slowly ticking off my to do list one by one and am trying to rest at the same time and get over a cold that seems to have taken a hold of me. It usually happens at the end of the summer. I figure my body just go go go's until the end of august and then when I get back from the boat and it realizes it has time to be sick it takes advantage of it!

1 comment:

Katie Marie said...

SARAH! I bet it's nice to be back in Victoria! I am so glad you had a wonderful last 3 summer trips. Only a hop, skip and a jump away from Fiji! YAY! I can hardly wait! I am thinking of you so much, even more as the time gets nearer to your arrival! Thank you for your message on my blog. Don't worry - the fo'c'sle is bug free! I hope you get better soon, and that everything you need to do will be done by October. I love you, girl, and I am thinking of you and praying for you in your busy life! Take care, and see you in a month!