template

Monday, September 17, 2007

Back to School

Well I'm not back to school, but back to doing school trips which make up the majority of my year. I was thrilled to have a chance to visit with a good friend and past coworker, Rebekah, in between the break of summer and fall trips. She is an amazing girl, with such servants heart.
I was excited to sail with my old highschool for the first trip this Septmeber. College Heights is always a trip looked forward to by the crew and a really good transition trip from summer trips, where there are multi ages and no one knows eachother before hand, to school trips, where its a class that has been going to school together for a while. College Heights brings multi age student who may or may not know eachother but have fundraised together for a year before hand to get there. Going from a ten day to a five day feels so short, so the extra day with this group was great to have.
I usually feel like the longer a trainee spends on the boat the more they understand the routine, the more they learn and the more chance I have of getting to know them even just a little. Most schools come for five days and the difference between school trips and summer trips in terms of growth, learning, and understanding are huge. This is another reason that I am so excited to have the chance to go offshore again. Having the oppotunity to spend months on the bo at is so incredible. I am excited for the immeasurable amount of potential it brings.
On a completely different note... I ruptured my ear drum! Warning: No one should ever candle their ears! A friend of mine wanted to try it out so I thought, why not?. Well I didn't know what had happenned at the time, but turns out that the loud noise pain I felt was my eardrum rupturing! I went on to do the next five days with a constantly plugged feeling ear, and the pain got better and then worse as the week progressed. I didn't get to see a doctor until we came in five days later, but I am happy to know what is wrong with me, unfortunately there is nothing I can do but wait it out, it should heal a few more days though. My crew was great to me, picking up where I had no more energy left. The boat is that last place I'd pick to be sick. I feel awful and useless because I can't do my job the way I'd like to be able to, but I was so happy to have a crew that cares so much.
Back out again tomorrow. We have a replacement cook for the next two trips. A long time SALTSer, Christina Vanderkamp, who I am really excited to be sailing with again. I am also looking forward to next weekend when one of my best friends ever, Ronelle, is coming to visit for the weekend! Lots of excitment in the next few weeks before I leave, but I'm feeling organized and my passport is back and the visas all came through which is a big weight off. Now I just need to worry about buying enough toothpaste for the year!

No comments: