template

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Upon Arrival

After spending about 24 hours actual time and 48 hours PST I have arrrived in Fiji and sweated... a lot. It's a beautiful country, gorgeous and green and I have been enjoying the lack of ties I feel to technology. Upon arrival I was immediately whisked away by a driver from the lodge where I was to meet up with the rest of the crew during their break between legs on the boat. Safari Lodge was the very cliche of beach bum couple from Australia who just want to spend the rest of their lives windsurfing and kiteboarding and playing in the sun, so why not open a resort and teach other people to do it too? at least we'll always have company. It was a lot of fun and I had a blast giving my best on the windsurfing board and lounging around in the incredibly comfortable hammocks.
I am however very glad to be back on the Pacific Grace once again. After spending a year on the Swift the first thing I noticed was how BIG the Grace felt and then how dry she looked compared to the glossy varnish of the Swift. The heat down here, while making us all sweat profusely has dried all moisture out of the wood. Never-the-less she still looks grand and striking against here background of turqoise blue sees and jagged island chains.
We have spent a total of one day together so far and already this group seems a promising one. They all have high expectations for the leg and we are going to do our best to follow through. My favourite part of offshore is simply the amount of time you have with everyone and the next 76 days should be amazing to watch and take part in.
We are planning on leaving Fiji tomorrow for the Yasawa Group and then back here to Loutoka to clear out of customs before heading off to Vanuatu.

No comments: