template

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Jewellery Wall Organizer

Okay... So I think I'm a day late here. However I'm going to say its because of the holiday weekend :) I think I pinned this sometime last summer, but never had the wall space to hang it up so I never bothered to make it. But in in our new place I have more blank walls and less character molding so I have room to finally do (and then display) some of these things. 

The motivation behind this project is the fact that I HATE CLUTTER... that being said I have plenty of it. Fail. However, this stellar project will get rid of all those cardboard jewellery boxes sitting on my dresser and display my adornments in a place that hopefully means that will get worn a little more often as I am reminded of some of the beautiful pieces that I have.

Again, I prefer not to spend lots of $$$ on these projects as I have all sorts of "junk" & scraps lying around the house waiting to be turned into something beautiful. So this project cost me $0.00 so far. I think I might go find better ribbon option for the top though 'cause I'm not happy with the outcome currently, but I'll have to search around a bit for what I'm looking for. Until then the ribbon concoction on the top is a temporary fix.

Here was the progress:

1. Found piece of plywood (from my husbands garage deconstruction - reconstruction to music studio project). Wrapped in scrap fleece interfacing from a diaper bag & tone on tone ivory damask fabric from some pillows I did about 5 years ago... Is that a reasonable length of time to hold onto scraps? How often do you purge your scrap supplies? The interfacing gave it a little cushion. I didn't want to add too much batting and make it look upholstered, but I did want a little softness.

2. Ironed the fabric (don't want those creases and didn't think they'd pull out when I stapled the fabric) I pretty much despise ironing and normally I skip it whenever possible, but I thought it might be worth it this time.

3. Stapled my fabric onto the ply. Start with the middle of top & sides, and then work towards the corners. Corners are tricky, but I think I have it down now and really like my technique.

I'll outline the corner technique here:

1.  Working from the middle of top and sides evenly stretch out your fabric. You shouldn't really need to pull any from the corner, just make them look tidy.

2. Using an origami fold like this squash fold, gently fold down your corners.

3. Staple each side and then the top to get a triangle. You can then add a couple more staples and/or trim the extra fabric.

4. You're done! (Sometimes it takes a couple tries to be happy and no weird wrinkles on the top, but if you just use the three staple technique it's less to un-pick and re-do each time and then when you're happy you can add the extra hold if desired.

To finish 'er off:

1. Next I had some old hardware kicking around from when I replaced the kitchen hardware in my house (again about 5 years ago) I cleaned it up and placed it around the board until I was happy.

2. I made some pen marks where I wanted my holes and then cut the fabric with a utility knife so the drill wouldn't rip and pull the fabric while I was drilling my holes.

3. Drilled the holes and screwed in the hardware.

4. Hang & Decorate :)

I just had some old ribbon kicking around that I added as a decor to the top, but I'm not happy with this modge-podge of ribbons. I think I'd like to add some burlap and lace for that rustic/pretty feel. I think it'll go well with the damask too. I'll keep you posted when I find what I'm looking for.

Be pinspired!!


How'd I do?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

No comments: