template

Monday, August 26, 2013

Growth Chart Ruler


Okay folks, 

I'm 1 for 1 and here's the first project.  I've been wanting to do this one for a while now, finally got around to it! In total this project cost under $5. Including gas... 

I live so close to a lovely bike/walking trail it seemed a shame not to take advantage of the beautiful weather we've been having. Plus, this way the babe got out for a walk too! The exchange with the employee (let's call him Dave) at Lumberworld went something like this:

Me: "I need a 1x8 x6ft of something cheap... it's for a craft, not building" (CLEARLY I know what I'm talking about here....)
Dave: "Um, okay. I'll go get that for you while you pay. Where are you parked I'll bring it out to you?"
Me: "No car, I'm walking"
Dave: "You're gonna carry it?"
Me: "No I'm gonna balance it on the stroller"
Dave: Eyebrows raise  "Okay... I'll meet you out front..."


I got more than a few funny looks on the way home, but the BOB stroller is amazing! I'm pretty sure there's not much it can't do and by the time I was home I was ready to get underway.

Supplies Needed:
- 1 x 8 x 6 board (I used fir, but pine would work great too. Something you can see some knots/grain gives it some good character) 
- Stain
- Rubber gloves
- Old rag
- Ruler/Measuring tape
- Sharpie
- Printer

Step 1: Antique-ify my board with some stain. I had this
Minwax in Dark Walnut kicking around from the Glassless Picture Frame project last summer and I love the colour, so it was perfect.
I just rubbed it straight in with an old rag rather than paint it on first as I didn't want it to go too dark.



Step 2: Once that is dry, mark off in pencil every 1/2 inch with your ruler. Then with a sharpie bold the lines. I used 1/2" & 1 1/2" lines as my ruler marks and a 2" line for each foot marking.

  

Step 3: I printed off my numbers at a 200 size font, shaded them with pencil on the back, and then pressed hard with my pencil to outline the numbers. Once I lifted the paper I could then trace the numbers in with my black sharpie. Easy Peasy and no free handing! 

***Make sure when you commit your numbers to the board you take into account how high you'll be hanging your ruler!*** (I'm hanging 8" off the ground, so my marks start accordingly)

 

Step 4:  Step back and admire your work! Now I just have to be patient until the little guy can actually stand next to it to measure him.

 

How'd I do?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

 

No comments: