template

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Chairboarding and Anton-kwon-do

The past few weeks have a been a bit of blur and now I find myself looking at the rest of the spring season and wondering where the first few months went? This next week marks big changes in for the Pacific Swift, as my first mate, Antony, and bosun, Chris, are replaced by the two not so new faces of Drew Hayes, and Matt Lamay (respectively).
This past week marked the last five day trip of the spring season. I will now be doing a series of three and four day trips, which means no teaching of our regular curriculum, so more time for fun and games and sailing; but it also means that the trainee's don't learn quite as much and I have to clean up the boat twice a week instead of once...
This last five day trip was fantastic. It was the "warm wind" trip. There is always a trip in the spring when the wind changes from its fridgid winter temperatures and starts blowing a warmer summer breeze accross our sails, and this trip was it. The change in temperature meant a lot of brightwork (painting/varnishing/etc) was done last week. I even had my she-wo (female watch officer) hands on a few brushes re-finishing the names boards with metallic gold and green paint. The warmer winds also made the water look more inviting and one sunny and not so windy afternoon when we were not able to sail, but looking for something fun to do, we decided to bring back out the chair-board. That is to say, we rigged up the bosun's chair (a plank with lines on either side, kinda of like those old fashioned swings) and swung it out off the end of the yard (big horizontal piece of wood) and then proceeded to swing out over the water and the mercy of whomever was in control of the other end. I volunteered to be first out to spike curiosity and interest and though I had not planned to get more than my legs wet, by the time I got back onboard I was soaked from head to toe!
As far as the Anton-kwon-do goes... every since my crew found out that I have a black-belt, they have been challening me with their own martial arts, such as the aforementioned Anton-Kwon-do, as well as Kick-but-te and Drew-Jitsu...


1 comment:

Katie Marie said...

Loved getting a message from you on my blog, Sarah. Thanks! So great to see pics of you and Antony performing "Anton-kwon-do" and hearing about your past few weeks. Sounds like a blast, and I can't wait to share in the fun when we get to sail together! You're awesome, Sarah, and you will have to teach me some of your karate moves!