template

Sunday, May 27, 2007

In which the She-WO goes in.

This past trip was another gloriously sunny three day trip with Langley Christian School, a great bunch of grade eights. We made our first stop of the season at Portland Island. In the past this has been a frequented stop by SALTS, but we havent made it there yet this year. It was marked by the occasion of my very first dory sailing ever. Well not really my very first dory sail, it was my second, but the first with a watch. We had a beautiful soft breeze that blew us right up on the shore of Portland Island, we had to row back, but seeing as we didn't have to row there, my watch was grateful. This is an unusual occurance as the sailing dory is the first mates dory, but I heard if you ask nicely then...
Next day was almost if not more so memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. One of the trainees decided it would be a good idea to throw a deck mat (rope mat to protect the deck from wooden blocks) at another trainee, however they missed and it went in the water. Oops. Anyways, We were still at anchor so therefore limited in our ability to maneouver, but Skipper managed to put us within pike-pole reach and I got it, and almost had in onboard, but then it slipped of the pike I was ever so carefully balancing it on. next I tried to lean over, but found I couldn't quite reach it, so I grabbed a line (the port side reefing penant) and holding onto this lean away from the boat, managed to grab the deck mat, but as I am doing so I needed to be upside down and then I had to let go of one arm and this culminated with me ending up swimming in Cadboro Bay in my jeans and hoody. I guess this speaks to how much we love the boat...when we go in for a simple rope map.
I love my job.

No comments: