template

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Kayaking

So I finally got my but in gear and after loving the day I spent kayaking last fall, I rented a kayaking and went out again...it only took my sister coming all the way from Prince George to keep me from being "too lazy." It was a perfect day to go out, nice and sunny, but with a bit of cloud cover so you don't get too sweltering!
Last fall I went out from Sidney and paddled over to Portland Island. This time we decided to do something closer to home and rented a double from downtown and paddled up the Gorge and around the Inner Harbour a bit.
The Gorge starts out very industrial, but as soon as you cross the Bay Street Bridge it is beautiful and peaceful. We didn't meet many other paddlers, just one or two and a couple of Harbour ferries giving a tour.
I checked the tide/current before leaving and found out that slack water under the Tillicum bridge was at 1400, which suited us perfectly since that was around the time we would be crossing under it. We got shot out going through and had an exciting paddle back under, but made it through on our first try... poor Leighsa, her foot pedal got stuck on the first attempt and she got swung back out in the current. Apparently it can get to be quite the whitewater scene in there when the current is racing. I would have liked to see what it looked like this morning at 0600 when it was doing over 7 kts! Crazy!



No comments: