template

Saturday, January 13, 2007

A Danish, A Beer, and The Little Mermaid.

Hello to Everyone!

Well this is my last night is Sweden. The week has been eventful to say the least!

Monday: I spent the day in Copenhagen with my mom and her cousin. We started the day with a danish, which I found appropriate since it is Denmark after all, but after spending the first hour getting tickets for and waiting, in the cold, and colder yet rain, for a bus (that would eventually never show up) we hopped a city bus and found our way down to the "Little Mermaid" to take a picture with her. To my mother's dismay I braved the cold Atlantic waters, or at least my shoes did, in order to get a picture sitting with this harbour lady. We soon decided that the wind and rain was probably worse down by the water and quickly found another bus to take us back into the city where we spent quite some time, which very much pleased my mother, in an amber shop. I should note that later on in the day we went into at least four more amber shops, three of which were different locations of the same store as the first. We went for lunch in a Turkish restaurant and later since Lisbet said that the Danish drink beer for breakfast, we of course went for a beer.

Tuesday: went to Ales Stenar which is the Swedish equivalent of Stone Henge, although not quite as big. This day started in rain and I can't say that I was lookig forward to the hike up to the stones in the rain, but by the time we got there, the rain had stopped and we had passed albino deer and pheasants! (randomly) It felt very mysterious to be up there just thinking about the magnitude of the job and wondering what they were for; seeing as all the signs were in Swedish I had very little idea, except something about a clock... The view was amazing! and bonus, I got to run out along a breakwater, which at the time was definately "breaking water" and despite my best efforts to listen for the waves I might have gotten slightly wet...

Wednesday: Went in to Malmö to do some shopping with another of mom's cousins Marie, and her very cute children Herick and Clara. Despite the "disastrous to the hair" rain and wind we managed to navigate our way through the downtown of Malmö and find the best places to shop and eat!

Thursday: Into Lund we go. Another of my mother's cousins, Martin, is one of the best hair stylists in Lund, so of course I had to have my hair done as well. My sister's both raved about the experience and it was good indeed. Also saw the Domekyrkan, the oldest church in Lund, where I marvelled at the architecure. It was made of sandstone, which is not found locally, so one wonders how in the 1100's they transport the amounts they did over the distances they did! Amazing! despite the slightly erie feel down in the crypts...

Friday and Saturday: more visiting, trying to see everyone one last time before leave. Definately spending some time with my great grandmother. It is sad to think that I most likely will not see her again, she is 92 right now, so wow, at least I have long life genes in the family.

Currently: hoping that my laundry wil be dry in time to pack it, enjoying a glass of wine and
dinner at Martin's and anticipating France! and I can't wait!

No comments: