template

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

26 of 30

26th Class in a row.  And now unfortunately I have to take the next two days off... So you're thinking I'm cheating, but it's in the "rules" you can miss two days and make them up by doing a double on another day. I know that is not the point. You should be finding time in your everyday life to fit in the yoga, but sometimes things come up.

So I already, in anticipation of tomorrow, did a double earlier this month and I will have to do a double this weekend to make up for my missed class of Friday. It is unfortunate that these two days fall back to back, but I guess that is how the dice fall sometimes. Thursday is the S.A.L.T.S. AGM and Offshore Documentary Premier and Friday I'll be cooking for Street Cafe down at the Mustard Seed and there is no possible way I can make it do any other class that day. The closest would be the 6am class, but I still wouldn't make it to work on time. Drats!

Tonight's class I really tried to focus on the relaxation aspect of yoga. It's easy to get caught up in the deeper, harder, stronger, better, more! more! more! and to forget about the "meditation" side of things. I really tried to keep my mind clear and focused on what I was doing and, while pushing myself in postures, to concentrate on keeping my breath even and my mind witnessing what was going on in each posture. It was a great class and it was a good challenge to try and increase my awareness of everything that was going on in my body and not just what the posture looked like in the mirror. 

On a separate note. After having done a number of classes with no water, I thought that to be fair I should try a few classes drinking more often that I normally did just to see. So yesterday and tonight were the starting test of that "theory." Honestly, I'm not sure what I think. When I'm having a great class, water doesn't really matter, when I'm having a "crappy" class then water seems like it matters a lot, but really it's not helping me that much it's just my mind trying to distract itself from the uncomfortableness of the situation. I will say though that I do really appreciate having my water there to take small sips from as my mouth gets dry or chalky tasting...it doesn't always happen, but when it does it's hard to distract my mind from that parched feeling inside my mouth. So I've done it all, water in the room and not drinking it, no water in the room period, drinking more often, drinking less often and I think my opinion is that it is nice to have the water in the room for those moments that a small sip will allow you move more fluidly through class, but best not to focus on the water and do NOT drink, under ANY circumstances during the spine strengthening series. I've never done it because I can't fathom that nasty feeling you'd get in your stomach as it presses into the floor during all those postures, bleh!

No comments: