template

Saturday, February 06, 2010

One Week - 8th Class

I was definitely a little more tired than usual waking up this morning and in general I'm starting to feel some overall stiffness, especially in my hips actually, which is good I think because it has always been really hard for me to stretch or work into my hips/hip flexors because they're pretty flexible in the grand scheme of things. So hopefully the stiffness just means that I'm working hard and not improperly.

Ida taught my class again today. There were lot of other instructors taking the class as well. I always think it is interesting to watch instructors as they go through they're own classes. It's really leveling to know that everyone is doing the same class, the same postures, in the same heat, for the same time. So even people who've been practising for years and years are still doing the same 26 postures. Ida mentioned today that a guy (one of the instructors) finally yesterday (and again today), after SIX YEARS of practice, saw the top of his mat behind him while doing Camel Pose I couldn't even imagine (as I was looking at my hands grabbing onto my heels) the determination it would take to come back day after day, year after year, and not see the improvement that I wanted. I would get so frustrated!

As much as I love yoga, I'm glad (at least for now) that it has a season in my year. I can only practice for 4 months of the year, because I'm on the water for the other 8. It's an intense 4 months and feels so good, and as much as I notice how much I stiffen up in March when I stop, I can then look forward to going back again in November.

No comments: