template

Thursday, February 04, 2010

A Sixth of the Way

A sixth of the way through and still going strong. It is pretty amazing what the body can do if you let your mind get out of the way and just breathe. I am a fairly flexible person, but I have my limits and it's always a challenge to breathe beyond them and let my body rather than my mind tell me when I'm going too far. I had a great breakthrough during Half Moon Pose tonight. I have slowly been realizing how much the side bends prepare you for the backward bend. It's one of the first poses in the class so you feel like you are not warmed up enough to do it, but tonight on the second backward bend I could see my mat about a foot and a half behind me and it felt like I was able to release all this tension in my back and just hang out back there rather than restraining myself from being able to bend backwards. It was such a great feeling to let my body decide how far it was able to go rather than being scared and have my mind holding me back.

I mentioned that I talked my sister into doing this challenge with me (despite the fact that she had only done five classes prior to starting the challenge). Well, I asked my sister how her thirty day challenge was going and she said "Good I think, it kinda feels like I'm still dreaming..." So I guess that means it's going well?? I know what she means though, the thought of starting this challenge seemed really overwhelming, but in reality it's just taking it one day at a time. You just go to class. One day. Then the next one day. I definitely thought it would feel like it was taking up a lot more of my time that it is.

No comments: