template

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Double Day #2

So as I said previously, I had to skip Thursday and Friday's classes which meant that today was a double class day. I'm going to back track a bit here, and briefly talk about the two days that I missed.

I was surprised at how much I missed doing the yoga! The first day off it just felt like something was missing out of my day, and the second day I started experiencing quite a bit of stiffness in my back (lumbar area) which has turned into quite a bit of pain actually.  I also felt a lot more lethargic and tired and overall low on energy; work seemed to drag on a bit and the days there seemed long. It's quite astounding actually the differences I noticed in only two days.

So back to class this morning at 0930. I was feeling pretty tired and stiff. I don't normally do morning classes. I walked in and learned that Ida was teaching which helped me make up my mind to just go in there and do it. She is an amazing teacher, I always learn something new in her classes. It's amazing how a seemingly minor adjustment can change a whole pose. She is quite an inspirational teacher and is somehow able to instruct and motivate at the same time with a strict but caring demeanor and an eye for every detail...

I like to be able to push myself a lot in class and found this morning's class frustrating with the pain in my back. I wasn't able to do the sit-ups at all because of a sharp pain in my back when I attempted them so I had to start rolling from side to side to sit up. It just felt defeating to not be able to do something that I've always been able to do. It was nice to be back in the hot room again though and I was hoping that it would help to relax out the tension in my back so my second class would go better.

No such luck...In fact this evening's class was worse on the pain scale and also a strain that I've been feeling in my inner thigh was exaggerated as well. It was an odd class because while I was still able to push myself into the depths that felt like they were working through the muscles and joints, during the transitions between postures I was really struggling. Another weird thing: despite the pain in my back during my daily life and in the transitions, I felt no pain in the postures, not even in the spine strengthening series where I assumed I would experience quite a bit! Strange...

2 classes left now. I hope that this back issue sorts its self out tonight. It would really stink to spend my last two classes of this challenge in pain...

No comments: