template

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

4/30

Good class, didn't start out fantastic. I was feeling a little dehydrated on my way to the studio, but I guess I drank enough today cause I didn't get any of the usual signs except for a brief dizzy spell after losing my balance during the second set of Standing Bow Pulling Pose


This is actually a poor picture of standing bow, I was trying not to fall off that cement block at the time so I didn't dare go down all the way, this is a better picture.

This has from the beginning been one of my favourite poses. In the start I loved it because it reminded me of dancing and it felt "easier." I could from the beginning lift my leg quite high, but as I have progressed in my practice I have begun to see more and more things that I was initially doing wrong. The biggest thing for me is keeping my hips square and not letting one come up higher than the other as you would as a dancer. Teachers, on more than one occasion, have asked if I had dance training, and I imagine it is mostly due to my form in this pose.
Someone once asked me if it [Bikram Yoga] ever gets easier... My answer was this: yes it's challenging and no it never gets easier. But that is because it shouldn't. You should always be working just as hard to perfect your form and increase the depth of your pose. When your strength and flexibility increases, it just means that you have to continue to try harder more correctly every class. What does get easier is the mental challenge. At first its so hot, and that's all you can think about, but once you can get over that, it's bliss. As I've been told:
"It's not HOT, You're HOT!"

No comments: